Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Dirt!

I never realized how much dirt cost!  Are you kidding me!  It's dirt!  Oh well, we had to wait until they had enough, but the city's recycling center had compost for $15.00 a cubic yard.  My husbands truck has a camper shell, so we borrowed his friends truck to fill it up.  This is what it looked like after one cubic yard.  I can't imagine what the conversation was of the guys working there, having two women, one who was pregnant show up for that much dirt!
This is the truck with the two loads.  My neighbor did two 4x8 beds, where I did one 4x16.  We unloaded the first half of dirt in her beds.

Then we tried to do the rest in my yard.  Except our fence wouldn't open.  The people who built it kept it flush with the ground, but the ground is not level in this area, so there was no way we could get it open the whole way.  I ended up using a jigsaw to cut the bottom of the right side of the gate to fit the truck through.  My husband wasn't pleased, (but he was at work, and not able to help us come up with a better solution!)  but we did it in 1/2 inch sections, and checked every time to see if we needed to cut more off.   
He had a very dirty truck, and we had very dirty hands (me) and feet (her).

We were rather proud of ourselves that we moved 2 cubic yards of compost without our husband... Do you know how much that weighs??? TWO TONS! 
My back felt it for the next few days, I can tell you that much!

No comments:

Post a Comment