Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Father's Day Present

After the fail I wrote about here, I was eager to get the rest of the project done and hidden....
First I started with equal length 1x6's, I used the miter saw to cut equal angles on both sides.


I measured and found the middle of the top area.

I stacked both sides on top of each other, and drilled a hole in them.

I had a 3/4" dowel, so I used this funky 'drilling big holes' bit...


We spray painted the lids, three blue, and three green.

Put the bottles in for a 'test drive'.  I ended up using the two bigger bottles in the middle, and filled it with his VERY favorite candies, so he had a bit more of them, and the four smaller ones (that came in the 4 pack) on the four corners.

And painted it (on our kitchen table, that has been used for more crafts then dinners lately!).

We did a light white wash, and filled the jars with candy.  My husband is a certifiably chocoholic, so we did baking chocolate chips, M&M's, Dove Dark chocolate squares, York Drops, Andes Mints, and Rolo's.

 I was going to take better pictures of the final product, but Sunday seemed very busy for us, and apparently he really liked the gift, because he took it to work with him on Monday!  I suppose that means it's a 'winner'... since I sometimes suck at presents for him!  WHOOHOO!!!


1 comment:

  1. Very nice!

    Also, my inner woodworking geek calls that "funky 'drilling big holes' bit" a spade bit. (I was originally going to call it a forstner, but that's a different type of "funky 'drilling big holes' bit".)

    ReplyDelete