Monday, June 27, 2011

Sweet Potato Re-do

This was what our sweet potatoes looked like....  So, before we got to much further into the growing season, I decided to just scrap the whole thing, and start over!  I went to the local nursery, got three more slips, and talked for a while.  I discovered that sweet potatoes don't grow exactly like regular potatoes, and so the tire tower wasn't the best method, at least the way I was doing it.  They suggested that I stack all three tires, and plant on the top, so there is space for them to grow down.
The new sweet potato slips

We mixed a combination of peat moss, compost, humus, manure, and top soil.

We did it wheelbarrow by wheel barrow, tire by tire....

And in the end, we planted the three new plants!

Our tire tower !


We also decided to move the little Anaheim Pepper plant that was in the middle of all my tomato plants.  Being a first year gardener, I had NO idea how big the tomato plants would be, so I planted this little gem in the middle of them...  He is completely shaded where he was at.  I took the biggest shovel we had, and dug the dirt all the way around it. 

I tried to make sure I got as much dirt as deep as I could go!


I hope he's happy in his new pot... he's a couple weeks behind, but hopefully we'll still get some peppers off him still!

1 comment:

  1. I just had to move some strawberry plants for a similar reason, but not quite, they were getting fried by the sun and needed more shade each day, so moved them into pots and onto the porch.

    Hope your little guy makes it!!! He's got his own room now.

    ReplyDelete